This page describes how to have Myplace divide the class into groups for you, and then record that particular 'set of groups' as a 'grouping'.
1) In the Class administration Block, Click Users then Click Groups
2) Click Auto-create groups
3) Name your groups 'Tutor @'
Naming Scheme - The at symbol (@) may be used to create groups with names containing letters. For example Group @ will generate groups named Group A, Group B, Group C, etc. The hash symbol (#) may be used to create groups with names containing numbers. For example Group # will generate groups named Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, etc.
4) Auto create based on Number of groups
5) Set Group/member count to 3
6) Make sure you are selecting Students and allocating members randomly
7) Open the Grouping settings by clicking on the word Grouping
8) Choose New grouping
9) Give your Grouping the name 'Test Grouping'
10) Click 'Submit'
11) you'll see your newly create groups in the left box, now click on the Groupings tab as highlighted
12 You can see the Grouping we created at the same time with the relevant groups in it