Note: all emergency video content is temporary and will be re-recorded in the future.
To record your screen for a screen capture you will need to use Camtasia 2019. This software is licenced, so contact your department to organise a licence.
1. When you open the program, this box will appear. Click “New Recording”:
2. A smaller box will appear on screen. Select "Full Screen" and make sure your audio is “On”. You can check the correct microphone is selected in the audio settings by clicking the small arrow next to the audio button:
3. Before starting the recording, make sure your desktop is tidy and close any other software that is not needed for your video. Make sure nothing confidential is on display on your screen. Change your desktop background to a generic Windows10 or University branded background.
4. Click “REC” to start recording. There will be a countdown before the recording begins:
5. Your screen is now being recorded. Progress with your video as planned. When you are finished, bring up the recorder panel (which will have minimised during the recording). Click the stop button. This will end your recording:
6. Camtasia will then open up your video in an editor. Wait for this programme to open:
7. Click File > Save as… to save the project file. Save this to a new folder in your documents. Name the file “01 – [title of video]”, “02 – [title of video]”, “03 – [title of video]”etc. This file is not yet a playable video, it must be exported to .mp4 in the next steps.
8. To export your file as a video, click the green "Share" button in the top right of the screen Share > Local File
9. Select "MP4 Only (up to 1080p)" > Next
10. Create a new folder for all of your screen capture export files, save your videos there.
11. Click Finish and your video will export as a .mp4 ready for use.
12. To record another screen capture, close Camtasia programme.
13. Open Camtasia again and select “New Recording”, follow from step 1 again.
14. Repeat until all your videos have been filmed.
For GA and DA video content, your files will be uploaded and sent to a media team for editing. You should not "Share" and export your files. Follow these steps and consult GA/DA self-shooting guidelines.
7. Click File > Save as… to save the file. Save this to a new folder in your documents. Name the file “01 – [title of video]”, “02 – [title of video]”, “03 – [title of video]”etc.
8. Close the Camtasia programme.
9. Open Camtasia again and select “New Recording”. Repeat until all your videos have been filmed.
10. When you have finished your session, upload all your Camtasia files to the Sharefile folder you have been provided, for the media teams to download. Consult with your learning technologist.