Note: all emergency video content is temporary and will be re-recorded in the future.
To record your screen for a screen capture you will need to use Camtasia 2019. This software is
available from TechSmith.
Each licence includes 2 installations per user.
TechSmith offers a 30 day free trial for Camtasia, but any videos exported from the trail version will have a large TechSmith watermark over the footage. This is not meant for commercial use.
Contact your department to purchase a licence.
1. When you open the program, this box will appear. Click “New Recording”:
2. A smaller box will appear on screen. Select "Full Screen" and make sure your audio is “On”. You can check the correct microphone is selected in the audio settings by clicking the small arrow next to the audio button. Consult the Recording Preparation - Equipment and Staging page for information about microphone use: Recording Preparation – Equipment and Staging
3. Before starting the recording, make sure your desktop is tidy and close any other software that is not needed for your video. Make sure nothing confidential is on display on your screen. Change your desktop background to a generic Windows10 or University branded background.
11. Click Finish and your video will export as a .mp4 ready for use.
12. To record another screen capture, close Camtasia programme.
13. Open Camtasia again and select “New Recording”, follow from step 1 again.
14. Repeat until all your videos have been filmed.
For GA and DA video content, your files will be uploaded and sent to a media team for editing. You should not "Share" and export your files. Follow these steps and consult GA/DA self-shooting guidelines.
7. Click File > Save as… to save the file. Save this to a new folder in your documents. Name the file “01 – [title of video]”, “02 – [title of video]”, “03 – [title of video]”etc.