This support page describes how to add a video file to your class as streaming video embedded in the page.
Step by step guide
1) You can embed video in Myplace via the text editor. When you're in the text editor click on the 2nd icon from the right to add a media file.
Click on any image below to enlarge
2) This will open a pop-up window.
3) Click on the "Upload" button
4) A disclaimer will appear which you must read and agree to before continuing
5) You will now have a button you can press to "Upload Video or Audio Files" or you can drag and drop the file directly into this box
6) Browse to your file and select it by double clicking.
7) You'll now have a new page where you can choose some settings for your video.
Add a title and a description of your video which will appear on the embedded video player in your Myplace class. You can also choose to use the title of the uploaded video if it's titled appropriately already, by clicking the Use filename for title checkbox which is enabled by default.
You can add some details such as the site, name of the lecturer, name of department and rating
8) On the right hand side of this window you will see some options you can modify. Here is a brief explanation of what those options are:
a. Who has Permission to View? Please select a Publishing Policy
i) ContentGlobal : Media accessible from any location = accessible from any internet connection
ii) ContentLocal2 : Media accessible from the local net = accessible only on Strathclyde University campus (not available on VPN)
b. Private or Public?
i) Public - This setting means everyone with an E-Stream login can view it (not general public)
ii) Private - This setting means only you can view it, however if you use an 'embed code' as you will if you embed it on Myplace, everyone who has access to that Myplace video will be able to see it. Use this setting if you want to restrict your audience to only those with access to your Myplace class.
c. Mark this under the ERA License?
i) ticked - a short message will show before your video with the ERA Licencing disclaimer. This is only relevant if your video is from film or TV. If you want to embed this kind of video please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
ii) Not ticked - No Disclaimer will show.
d. Media Profile - This is the media type of the uploaded file, usually there is no need to change this as most files are detectable and can be converted by whichever default setting is selected by the system. But if you feel it hasn't chosen the right one, click the dropdown to see other options
e. Copy Only - tick this if using an H264 and AAC Audio file
Then click 'Confirm' to continue.
9) You will then see this window. Click "Start Upload" to begin your video upload.
You may then see a progress bar as your video uploads.
For reference a 48 MB file took about 2 minutes to upload.
10) After you upload your file it may takes some time to be made available for viewing on your Myplace class page. This is the time it takes to process the video to the format that eStream uses. The amount of time it takes will depend on the video size. The dialog will close and you should be returned to your editor, and there should be a placeholder displayed where you wish the video inserted.
When you're finished editing click 'Save and return to class'
11) Finally your embedded video should appear like this (when fully processed). The grey square with the white arrowhead is the play button and the title and description you gave your video will appear in the rectangle next to the play button.